Monday, January 17, 2011

I was born in a small town...


... and I live in a small town.

Probably die in a small town.

Oh those small communities...


Now that you all have John Mellencamp stuck in your head for the day... ;) So I may not have been 'born in a small town'... but I'm livin' in one now and I have to say it's growing on me- which is a big statement from this metro-chick who's favorite cities include Saint Paul (the Paris of the Midwest) and the real Paris (in France) arfarf...


So one of the perks of living in a small town is what you see in the photo here- a Saturday night ZUMBA party at the Armory! SOOOOO fun! We danced til we dropped; they had raffles; and I got some glow bracelettes! (as much of a favorite now as it was when I was 6 and it was halloween).


Which brings me to the second point of this entry... as most people are riding that renewed energy and motivation of a new year, and many of us have that whole "eat right/exercise/ lose weight" items on our list, before you start in on acheiving those checklists, might I suggest you take a minute and reflect on what activities you'd most ENJOY doing to get those goals done. For me, despite all my time and hard work in the gym lifting and doing cardio, things had started to become a little more of a chore/ boring.


But since starting on this small town rotation, I have not missed a single Zumba class. I LOVEEEEEE it! Lately I'd really been missing the DANCE element in my life. Some of amazing friends from college and the dance reperatory company I was with started up a new dance troupe and are doing super well! (wish is SOOOOO awesome!) But it reminded me of how far away I've gotten from dancing in my daily life. Seeing "Black Swan" also made me want to dig out my point shows and mess around (and I would have if they were pad locked into a storage unit in Minnesota!)


Zumba (though nothing like dancing the principle role in Balanchine choreography!) has at least allowed me to express and challenge myself with dance again. (and if you think it's easy for a ballerina to forget all that Vagonova training and just shake her hips left to right, you got another thing comin'!) ;) Anywho, I could not be HAPPIER! I am hooked on Zumba! And if you can find a class (having a particularly good teacher helps!) I highly suggest you check it out. And if what you LIKE to do isn't Zumba, FIND that thing that makes you EXCITED about moving and working out. Your chances of sticking with it, and it getting some results for you as a nice little side effect, are far greater when you LOVE what you're doing.

Rock on friends! :) xo Mego

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Zumba! I love it too. There's a great instructor at my gym on Wednesdays. I love my Body Combat class too. And you are right. Since I love those classes, I am good about attending those sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEEEEE your Body Combat class teacher! I LOVEEEED when I went with you in May and got to do the Pirates of the Caribean fighting workout! LOL If I was home, I'd be right there Zumba-ing with you! :) xo

    ReplyDelete