Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish we are...


... Irish we be! This is among many little fond memories I have of Saint Paddy's day (or hell... a TUESDAY) growing up with my Dad singing "I've been warshin' my arse in da Liffey... I use it as my personal biffy!..."

Awwww yes, the one day where the whole world gets together and drinks to honor my crazy Irish family and all their ancestors, current members and would-be-destined-descendents... Growing up in the Goff/McKenna house meant lots of Irish pride... claddaugh rings, necklaces, earrings at every 1st Communion, graduation, 16th birthday etc... and lots of trying to avoid going to church with our adorable and faithful mother (I now wish I went EVERY Sunday with her), and of course lots of drinking, swearing, story telling and temper tantrums. Such is to grow up in an Irish household. And I wouldn't trade it for the world!

I've been to Ireland several times and I cannot wait to go back! This Saint Patrick's Day my thoughts turn to the fact that I haven't travelled to Ireland ... or Europe... or out-of-the-country for that matter, since I returned from Franceland in Fall of 2006! I need to break this streak asap.

In honor of St. Paddy's and Europe, and my amazing irish Family, including our Patriarch Steve Goff and our ties to the Aussies... and all the drinking that is associated with ALL of those things... I'd like to offer my latest (CHEAP) wine obession: Anthropologie Australian Shiraz... I got it on sale for $11 at Safeway and it is big, jammy and delicious and WAY more valuable than it's bargin price implies. If you see it in a store near year, swip it up! You won't be disappointed!

Slainte! And Erin Go Braugh! xoxo Meghan (name translation: Irish derivative of the Greek name Margaret; means "strong one" or "pearl".)

1 comment:

  1. Or the other famous 30 B Street song:
    Irish we are
    There's no debate
    Irish we are
    Schmidt's beer tastes great.

    Classic.

    ReplyDelete