Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Teachings of Yoga

As some of my loyal followers (3 of you) know I have been toying with getting my Prenatal Yoga/ Doola certification- no small part inspired by Darryl's Mom :) Well I have spent more hours researching the in's and out's of prenatal yoga and all that it entails than I have on fb, pinterest and my other favorite blog MY LIFE ON THE FAX combined this past month! I finally found the perfect teacher training in a great location (DC - where I can stay with some of my favorite people in this world for the weekend-long intensive). It's even put on by the same reputable studio that Darryl's Mom goes to (we all know how much research THAT woman is capable of doing so you know it's gotta be good). And as you can imagine, these programs aren't cheap, but I was prepared to fork over the dough (thanks Uncle Sam)... until... the transmission on our truck went out. ugggggg ... so I'll have to take a raincheck for now on my own teacher training. (Well, unless I can win $700 in scratch offs from the Virginia state lottery this weekend). But maybe this is part of the universe's syllabus for yogi learning for me... teaching me patience? :)
Anywho... with Yoga on my mind, I've subscribed to Yoga Journal (as IF I needed another trash magazine obsession! But so far it's been worth every penny! so don't judge me... as the stacks of O! and Vanity Fair sit untouched on my desk next to me...) And I came across this little gem of an article on how Yoga can be different things to different people and all the wonderful things Yoga teaches us! And while you may thinks it's for girls, or for gumby types, or for the religous or just not for me... I invite you to think again about keeping your mind open to find your way to a yoga class or two... There's something for everyone. The learning ($700 or not) never stops... NAMASTE!

From Yoga Journal March 2012:

"Let's Get Physical" by Peg Mullen
Maybe you've been told that 'real' yoga isn't physical. Doesn't it make you wonder if the person saing that has ever seen a Sun Salutation or hovered in Chaturanga? Sure yoga is about quieting the mind, but that's kind of hard to do when your back is screaming or it hurts when you try to move your neck. A friend of mine started going to a local studio affectionately known as "the torture chamber" and began practicing the 26 unabashedly physical postures and two breathing exercises (yes, they call them "exercises"). Six months later, her back pain is gone and she can move her neck with ease. And the noise in her head as quieted down at least 10 notches. That's real yoga in my book.
Whaterver reason you came to yoga you should know that you've got nothing to apologize for. Personally, I've never hidden the fact that it was the sight of Madonna's chisled arms that inspired me to get on the mat. I had recently come out of a difficult relationship and, before I could even think about quieting my mind, I realized I needed to rediscover the power hidden inside me, the strength I had yet to tap. And as my body grew strong, my mind decided to come along for the ride.
Remeber the first time you had a big breakthroughon your mat and did something you had been afraid to try or thought you couldn't do? And the sense of courage and accomplishment that you carried off your mat and into your day? So maybe the clouds didn't part and angels didn't sign, but in that moment, and for a while afterward, you felt that anything was possible. That's real yoga.
Handstands give you permission to play and teach you it's OK to fall- and they show you how to land on your feet. Forward folds can teach you how good it feels to release your tight grip on your legs and maybe on your life. Headstands show you the world from another perspective, while backbends teach you to be vulnerable and trust. and maybe getting your foot behind your head won't bing you closer to enlightenment, but you'll sure learn about practice and patiences while trying.
So don't let anyone tell you what your yoga should or shouldn't be. It doesn't matter what you seek when you come to the mat- a cure for back pain, a quiet mind, Madonna's arm muscles. The important thing is that you're there every day. That's real yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment