Awwww summer time... all that travel and beach bumming gives us time to FINALLY tackle the books that we've been hearing about, recommended and gifted but NEVER get a chance to actually read. I'd like to offer up some of my summer reading critiques and recommendations for my readers... because, like Oprah, I know I TOO influence the opinions of millions of women around the nation... arfarf
1) 50 Shades of Gray- Now, if you follow one of my OTHER favorite blogs Some Balls No Chains you'll find a like-minded female reader in my dear friend Coco. Frankly, I don't get it. Like some many things that get hyped up, they usuall follow one of two fates a) it's all totally unmerited BS group-think lemming followers jumping on a band wagon or b) all said hype ruins an otherwise undiscovered literally treasure that, hey, is at least enjoyed by millions of people now that the word is out. Well, let me just save you the 4 hours it would take you to plow throw the several hundred pages of unrealistic smut that is 50 Shades of Grey and just confirm for you right here and now that this book definitely falls into the FORMER of those categories. Are they're some explicit, detailed, kind of hot sex scenes... mmmmm' yeah. But is it earth shattering, mind-alerting, rock your work, lock yourself in the bathroom good??? NOOOOOOOOOO. It's NOTHING that can't be found on any number of late night cable stations. To top this all off, the books - which are told from the perspective of the title character who is a 22 yo college girl- are in fact written by a 50 yo British lady... and she ain't foolin' NOBODY... No 22 yo soriety girl IIIII know even knows what a "Classic" is let alone constantly references them; nor do they refer to the good/evil components of their subconscious as "my inner diva"... and last time I checked, we call a condom a CONDOM. No 22 yo female making out a their neighbor's homecoming kegger ever stops mid make-up session and asks "Do you have a foil packet?"... I'm crying shinnegans. I was gifted the other 2 books in the series... and I'm not sure I'll read them... maybe sell them to the nearest sex-deprived single mother I run into instead... She'll get more out of them I did.
2) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: and other concerns, by Mindy Kaling (of "The Office" fame)... my love of "The Office" is too great to share space with this pariticular post. And in watching the show, I always though Mindy's character was funny - because its TRUE- type of way.. ALL of us know THAT girl... the girl that makes mankind think we are all dellusional, obsessive psychopaths to be feared not dated... but I never knew the comic GENIUS that Mindy herself possess until picking up this book. Please run - don't walk - to your local bookstore and pick up your copy TODAY... Just take the first paragraph of the book, there is MUCH more where this comes from:
" (heading before intro starts) : DON'T PEAK IN HIGH SCHOOL
Sometimes teenage girls ask me for advice about what they should be doing if they want a career like mine one day. There are basically two ways to get where I am: (1) learn a provocative dance and put it on YouTube; (2) convince your parents to move to Orlando and homeschool you until you get cast on a kids'show, or do what I did, which is (3) stay in school and be a respectful and hardworking wallflower, and go to an accredited non-online university."
more... more... give me more! Just read it, people.
3) Bossypants, by Tina Fey... the photos interspersed amongst the pages should be incentive enough... add in the amazing wit and cultural insights as only Tina can convey them, and you got yourself a book that gets you in trouble for snorting through your nose on the plane! I literally woke Ryan up yesterday in a vain attempt to stop from laughing hysterically at her description of the first and last time she took a cruise on her honeymoon. Move over Barrack, TINA FEY for President in 2016!!!!
4) The Omnivore's Delimma... I know, I know, after those last two it seems like I am ending on a buzz kill, but trust me, you. need. to. read. this. book. It will rock your WORLD and cure you of any addiction to fastfood hamburgs, or even the seemingly harmless bag of frozen chicken breasts you bought last night- "they're good for you right?"... yes, but are they good for US... the planet, the WORLD?!... Fret not, it's not all doom and dispair and whole foods holier-than-thou lecturing... it's really really educational. So much so that I have been dabbling in veganism. (Commense outraged vegan's calling me a poser NOW... oh wait, I have to have more than 5 readers for that to happen... arfarf)... I say dabbling, cause I can't quite bring myself to live without foufou French cheeses... to go with the wine I enjoy so much... oh the vices are endless... but mass-farm-raised poutlry shall never again be one of them.
Happy reading friends! xoxo Mego
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is on my to read! Perhaps I'll push that one in front of the others now that I know we share a similar taste in books. 50 Shades was complete drivel.
ReplyDeleteThe Tina Fey cruise ship evacuation is pretty funny. No I did not read Bossypants but I listened to it as an audiobook read by her on a long road trip I took.
ReplyDelete