So, today was my first day on my Burn Surgery rotation! And... it. was. awesome!!!!!!!!!
So most rotation schedules entail doing Clinic on 2-3 days, In-patient hosiptal visits on another couple 1/2 days a week and Surgeries the other 2-3 days... Well in my first day, I did ALL THREE!
I should up ready to roll at 7am... my preceptor had already been at the hospital since 5am. The only other resident in the service with me is a Surgical Resident (aka he's really far along in his studies, already has the title of Doctor, and is just doing an extra 5 yrs of SURGERY specific residency... so to say he is a 'resident WITH me' is a VERY relative term). The other 'resident' Dr Bonson has only been on board since last Friday so he and I were at least both lost as we checked in at the front desk and they immediately had us start rounding on Patients. We have 16 beds in the Burn Unit and another 10 beds designated as Burn ICU.
My preceptor is AWESOME. His name is Dr. Eshraghi. And he pocesses that rare quality in a Surgeon of being both WICKED smart AND entirely normal and personalable! He didn't pimp me too hard. Just taught me. And I just in general tried to keep up. I have shin splints for running around in my completely worn-to-the-bone zebra ballet flats (thanks Tom and Caitlin - Christmas 2008... LOL, yeah I need new shoes...)
In the morning, after rounding on our in-patients on the unit, we moved over to the clinic and saw pre/ post-op patients. Coming off of my Family Med rotation in Elmendorf, and the great face-time I got with patients, today- witnessing even someone as brilliant and wonderful as Dr. Eshraghi stumble over and foil-up patient encounters- I felt kinda proud to be a PA... like, in the back of my head, I was thinking : "Wow, I would have explained that proceedure and explained our treatment approach rationale SOOOOOO much better, faster and more appropriate to the patient's view point than you just did..." Even when your humbled and in the presence of greatness like a Burn Surgeon, there's definitely things a PA would do better. That kinda made me feel good ;)
The highlight of the day, was definitely the afternoon where I ASSISTED on my first ever surgery!!!!! It was over 3 hours long! Our patient was a 50 yo Female with complications of an abdominal wound. She had ovarian cancer and as part of her removal of the tumors, she had a colostomy bag. The incision from that and her tumor removal became infected and she developed fistuals and a large, gaping wound over a good 12 x 12 section of her abdomen. We used a new device in surgery today that I had never seen before, called a Versajet. Essentially it's a high powered water pic. And instead of 'cutting' the patient, the high-pressure water jet removes the tissue!!!! AMAZING!!!! I told Ryan about this and he said they used it when he was deployed in Afganistan too. It was a new toy to me though and I was super excited to see it in action.
While, I didn't get to play with the water thingymabob... I DID get to do a SKIN GRAFT! Yep, that's right, I scrapped off a piece of someone's leg, ran it through what looks like an industrial pasta roller and then glued it on to the patient's wound. Can you say AWESOME! Total highlight of my career thus far! And this is only day ONE! ;)
Who knows what tomorrow holds, but I can bet it will be just as crazy, scary, fun as this one... STAY TUNED! :) xoxox Mego
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stud! LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your blog posts.... update more often please. Glad to hear you liked it and I always thought a skin graft was run through what looked like a pasta maker machine- honestly, that is what I always pictured. Keep em coming girl! -Marcy
ReplyDelete